This post is about the 5.1.0-11 update for today, I have listed things to note and things we know, any contribution can help. The update is only some bug fixes and nothing to worry about for exploits being patched, it is simply Nintendo updating to avoid potential exploits from the buggy update of 5.0.0-11.
Things to Note
- Update was brought to my attention by ‘gbatemp’ user ‘beta4attack’ found here
- The new update block eShop access, much like older updates.
- The update also had some extra additions for Japanese users.
- The official nintendo site found here wrongly lists the current firmware
Things we know
- Nintendo Official Update news
- It was said by nintendo that the update is mean’t to fix errors with system updating that had been occurring in 5.0.0-11
- Nintendo can now push new apps without your allowance with spotpass, as seen with auto-added JAP region apps for eBooks and another misc app(An iTunes equivalent according to ‘YamiHoshi.nl’ from ‘gbatemp’.) (Although it’s probable that they legally cannot push new updates on you(forcefully anyway) Just simply block online applications such as the eShop,SpotPass and StreetPass) [Note: They have always been able to do this according to their terms of service, but most did not think they would force software updates without an option to reject them]
- Minor bug fix
- According to ‘3Dbrew.org’ System module ‘NS’ was updated as well as updates to ‘NATIVE_FIRM’ and ‘CVer’ were updated but the updates were minor, read more about that here
- According to a Wikipedia article the update prevented certain exploits, article
- Officially, the update fixes a bug that stops users from viewing System Settings, eShop and Game Notes
- All Regions are being asked to update
- New letterbox update allowing the sending of photos, sounds and more [Note: Some regions may get the update while some other may not]
To get these new updates you need to send letters, the more letters you send the more goodies you receive!
- A 3DS XL Black system requesting to be updated
- A 3DS XL Black system after update
Please note, that I personally have not confirmed any of these cards to be working with this update as of yet, use common sense and check into the sources listed below and make a careful decision on updating.
- Supercard DSTwo – According to ‘Maxternal’ of ‘gbatemp’ as well as forum staff at supercard.sc confirm its working.
- R4i-3DS 4.5 – According to ‘dudnator’ of ‘gbatemp’ is confirmed working
- DSi/3DS Action Reply – According to ‘codezer0’ of ‘gbatemp’ is confirmed working
- RDi Gold 3DS Version C – According to ‘TackyPie’ of ‘gbatemp’ is confirmed working [Caution: According to ‘Dannymizer’ of ‘romulation’ the different types of this card may of different results.]
- Ace3ds Plus – According to ‘TheGamerDepot‘ is confirmed working
- R4i 3DS RTS – According to ‘TheGamerDepot‘ is confirmed working
- R4i 3DS Silver – According to ‘TheGamerDepot‘ is confirmed working
- R4i Gold 3DS – According to ‘ShopTemp.net‘ is confirmed working
- Supercard DSTwo – According to ‘ShopTemp.net‘ is confirmed working
- Ace3DS Plus – According to ‘ShopTemp.net‘ is confirmed working
- R4i-SDHC 3DS – According to ‘ShopTemp.net‘ is confirmed working
- R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS – According to ‘ShopTemp.net‘ is confirmed working
Please note that I personally have not tested any flashcards as I currently don’t own any formatted to work with the 3DS system, check the sources that have confirmed the cards I have listed and make a choice for yourself.
Blocked flash cards
Please note, that I personally have not confirmed any of these cards to be blocked with this update as of yet, use common sense and check into the sources listed below and make a careful decision on updating.
- 2013 R4i Duel-Core V1.51 BETA – According to ‘Tecmanpr’ and ‘Feateon’ from ‘gbatemp’ has been blocked
- R4i SDHC-V3DSU – According to ‘That Tim Dood’ from ‘gbatemp’ has been blocked
How to update if you are having issues
If your system won’t let you update or access the update screen we have a simple fix
Hold L+R+A+Up before powering on (Left Shoulder Button, Right Shoulder Button, A, and Up on the D-pad) this will bring up the system update screen
Fix was posted by ‘Tecmanpr’ of ‘gbatemp’, link to full post can be found here